Since this is an ever-changing project, I feel compelled to share multiple instances of it while I work out different techniques. On my first crayon art project I attempted to make circles with the crayons to create a “sunburst” effect. It didn’t turn out the way I initially envisioned it in my head, but I absolutely loved the finished product. Though I like to think they are all open to interpretation, it reminds me of a solar flare. Since I had a second piece of canvas and extra crayons, I decided to create something that was darker, but still keeping with the theme.
When I started this piece of art I was thinking about galaxies and nebulas. I see tons of images of space all over Pinterest that inspire me and by the time I was done with the project it had turned into a black hole. Still, I love the artwork and I am so fascinated by “painting” with crayons! I have yet to work on the crayon art that has the crayons actually attached to the canvas, but I will get to that one day. For now, I am going to keep playing with this technique.
Since I used yellows, oranges, and reds in the last artwork, and both will be going on a wall in my office at work, I wanted to use the cooler end of the color spectrum in this piece. I used two colors that tie in both pieces, though they are not both pictured in the posts – yellow green and red violet. The red violet was my “flare” in the first piece, and the yellow green had two bright splashes in the base color. I did the same with the yellow green in this piece as you will see.
The base colors of this piece are mostly blues. Again, I did not take pictures of the boring task of removing the crayon wrappers, but it must be done to paint this way! I started with cerulean (unintentionally), then did a blue layer, then a blue green layer, and finally used the indigo to create a “night sky” look.
To get the “smears”, I just heated the crayons and rolled them across the canvas until the wax dried – very quickly. The lines I was able to draw by heating the point of the crayon, letting the wax pool, then dragging quickly while heating with the dryer.
As I did in the first project, I let the ends of the crayons drip down the edges and I moved the wax around and down by blowing on it with the dryer. It’s pretty easy to do and another reason I am glad I only have a travel-size hair dryer. Any additional power would have blown the wax too much.
I will admit that when I started adding the grey I got a little bit nervous. The last project didn’t have any neutral colors in it so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was hoping the gray would mix well with the other colors and lighten it up a bit, but it was too dark a grey I think. I soldiered on, though.
Once I filled in the entire piece of canvas with the blues and grey, I was ready to add other colors. At this point I haven’t used any glitter as I wanted to reserve that for the “stars” in the galaxy. I haven’t figured out that I am going for the black hole just yet, but it’s not too long before it takes shape.
I used gold glitter in the “black hole”. It started out looking very intimidating. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to turn it into anything or if I would have to pivot on the idea. Fortunately, there are still a few colors to go and plenty of time to move the wax around.
Some of the different galaxy/nebula images are done in beautiful green colors so I wanted to add some green in to create a “gas cloud” type of look. I also thought it would blend the yellow green and blue green into the picture nicely.
Since I blended the green into the yellow- and blue green, I decided to use the blue violet to blend into the indigo and black. It also blends nicely with the grey. I used a light green glitter on the green wax, and I used a light pink glitter on the blue violet wax. So far there are just a few sprinkles of glitter, but it’s starting to come together a bit more and I am less nervous about the whole project.
The last colors, minus white, I added were the violet and red violet. They weren’t really used to blend anything specifically, but I used them to form a sort of “cloud” around the black hole to separate it from the blue “sky”. I used the same light pink glitter on the violet, and I used a red glitter on the red violet. Now I just need to add in the white touches and finish it up.
The white made it appear more “cloud-like”, and I sprinkled silver glitter in the white wax. You may notice that at this point the picture has flipped vertically. I didn’t have the other pictures and I forgot which end I had up.
To add some finishing touches to the piece, I added some additional white around the black hole and I used the dryer to blend it both into the black and into the color. I also went back and added some touch-ups of the blue base toward the corners. I moved some wax around in the center to finish it off. The last thing I did was spray it with a couple of coats of gloss Mod Podge sealer. This is so the glitter won’t come off. I absolutely love the finished project!! I’m not sure if I love it as much as the “Solar Flare” but it’s obviously a close second. 😉